4 hrs 25 mins
This delicious main dish salad is a perfect balance between the crunchiness of the vegetables and the rich and creamy peanut dressing. If you have any leftover salad, you can turn this recipe into a "Quick Soba Noodle Surprise" by tossing 4 cups of the salad (about 1/4 of the recipe) with 1 pound of cooked, cooled soba noodles and 2 tsp toasted sesame oil. Add 1/2 cup of cubed Ginger Tofu and dressing. Recipe is from "The Real Food Daily Cookbook: Really Fresh, Really Good, Really Vegetarian" based on the vegan LA restaurant of the same name. Recipe requires at least 4 hours marinating time for the tofu.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 cups shredded napa cabbage
- 3 cups shredded red cabbage
- 2 carrots, peeled and julienned
- 2 1/2 inches piece daikon radishes, peeled and julienned
- 10 green onions, julienned
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
- 2/3 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/3 cup brown rice vinegar
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons tamari
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 1/2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (if you love spice, use more)
- 1 cup lightly packed fresh cilantro leaves
- 1Peanut-Sesame Dressing: Blend all the ingredients except the cilantro in a blender or food processor until smooth and creamy. Add the cilantro and blend just until it's finely chopped. (Makes about 1 1/4 cups).
- 2Gingered Tofu: Drain the tofu and save the containers. Cut into 1-inch wide strips, and pat dry with paper towels. Cover a large baking sheet with more dry paper towels. Place Ihe tofu in a single layer over the towels on the baking sheet and let drain for 2 hours, changing the paper towels after 1 hour.
- 3Whisk the tamari, vinegar, sesame oil, garlic, and ginger in a bowl to blend. Pour half of the marinade into the reserved tofu containers. Return the tofu slices to the containers, and pour the remaining marinade over. Cover and refrigerate at least 4 hours and up to 1 day.
- 4Preheat the oven to 400'F. Oil a heavy, rimmed baking sheet with the canola oil. Drain the tofu and place it on the prepared baking sheet. Bake for 10 minutes on each side until golden brown and heated through. Serve warm or cold, or at room temperature. (The tofu will keep for 1 day, covered and refrigerated.).
- 5Salad: Toss the cabbage, carrots, radish, and green onions in a large bowl with enough dressing to coat (about 1 cup). Mound the salad into 6 plates. Arrange the tofu around the salad and sprinkle with the sesame seeds.
Browse Our Top Salad Dressings Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Salad Dressings Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Yin & Yang Tofu Salad With Peanut-Sesame Dressing
Serving Size: 1 (375 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 488.2
- Calories from Fat 309
- Total Fat 34.3 g
- Saturated Fat 5.9 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 2308.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 29.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.7 g
- Sugars 16.1 g
- Protein 23.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
brown rice vinegar
brown rice vinegar