1/3 Photos of Wonton Soup
I love soups, and one of my favorites is wonton soup. This version was printed in Saveur magazine. In China this dish is considered a snack rather than one course of a meal. If you have a choice, try to find a good quality, thinner, wonton wrapper at your Asian food market. The steps look long, but I've broken them down in many simple steps for clarity.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 cups chicken stock (or canned broth)
- 3 scallions, left whole
- 2 inches fresh ginger, peeled and sliced into thin coins
- kosher salt, to taste
- 2 tablespoons chicken stock (or canned broth)
- 2 1/4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon minced scallion
- 1 inch fresh ginger, peeled and minced
- 1/4 lb ground pork
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon dry sherry
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 pinch sugar
- 20 wonton wrappers (3 1/2 inch squares)
- 1 cup fresh spinach leaves, torn into large pieces and packed in cup
- 1Soup Base:.
- 2Place ingredients for soup base into a large soup pot and bring to a boil over medium heat.
- 3Once boiling, reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 10 minutes to combine flavors.
- 4Remove broth from heat and set aside.
- 6Place 2 tbsp chicken stock and cornstarch into a large mixing bowl and stir to combine.
- 7Add minced scallions, minced ginger, pork, soy sauce, dry sherry, sesame oil, and sugar, and stir well.
- 8Fill a cup with water and set it nearby.
- 9Place a wrapper in front of you so that it looks like a diamond.
- 10Dip your finger in the water and moisten all 4 edges of the wrapper.
- 11Place about 1 tsp of the meat mixture in the center of the wrapper and fold in half over the filling to make a triangle.
- 12Press firmly along the sides to seal it and remove any excess trapped air.
- 13Moisten the left and right corners of the triangle and pinch them together.
- 14Place stuffed wonton on a wax paper lined baking sheet and cover lightly with a kitchen towel.
- 15Repeat until all wontons are made.
- 17Bring reserved broth to a boil, cover and reduce heat to medium low.
- 18Add wontons to simmering broth.
- 19Stir occasionally until wonton filling is firm and cooked through - about 5 minutes.
- 20Stir in spinach leaves and cook for 30 seconds until they wilt.
- 21Serve hot.
Browse Our Top Clear Soup Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Wonton Soup
Serving Size: 1 (293 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 270.7
- Calories from Fat 81
- Total Fat 9.1 g
- Saturated Fat 2.7 g
- Cholesterol 25.7 mg
- Sodium 801.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 29.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.8 g
- Sugars 5.5 g
- Protein 14.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: