Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
Very popular soup in HongKong. Everybody loves this soup in the summer. Many variations are available.
- 2 cups winter melon, cut in 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 4 dried Chinese black mushrooms, soaked in hot water for 20 minutes and diced without stems
- 2 -3 slices ginger
- 1⁄4 cup cooked ham, diced
- salt and pepper
- spring onion (for garnish)
- clean winter melon.
- add all ingredients to pot and simmer for about 20 min, until melon is tender.
- season to taste.
- garnish and serve hot.
Thanks for this great basic recipe! My boss has this melon growing in his backyard and gave me one. Substituting what I had around the kitchen -- dried Shitake mushrooms, ginger powder, finely chopped bacon -- I made this soup. I then added some cooked white meat chicken. At the table we used chili sauce and rice vinegar to make it a sort of "hot and sour" soup. Really delicious; a lovely winter food.
This is a nice complement to a Chinese meal. I followed the recipe as given, using ginger, salt and pepper for seasoning. Thank you for the recipe, Otto.
My dad showed me how to make this long time ago we use 1 or 2 pork chops sliced about finger thick.1or 2lbs of melon.2tbsp of soya sauce.3slices of ginger about the size of a dime. boil pork abt twenty min add melon ginger and soya sauce.