1/3 Photos of Velveted Fish
This elegant dish is a local specialty of Yueyang, a fishing village in the Hunan Province. From the Revolutionary Chinese Cookbook.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 14 ounces halibut fillets (or any white fish)
- 3 dried shiitake mushrooms, soaked in hot water from the kettle for 30 minutes and drained
- 1/2 red bell pepper
- 1/2 green bell pepper
- 3 scallions, green parts only
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 inches piece fresh ginger, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon light soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon rice vinegar
- 3 tablespoons chicken stock or 3 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- peanut oil, for cooking
- salt, to taste
- 1 tablespoon shaoxing wine or 1 tablespoon sherry wine
- 2 tablespoons egg whites
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch or 2 tablespoons potato flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1Mix together marinade, and mix together cornstarch paste.
- 2Cut the fish into 1/2-inch slices and put in a bowl with marinade; mix well and set aside.
- 3Drain and squeeze the mushrooms; remove the stems and slice the caps.
- 4Cut the red and green peppers into 3/4-inch strips, and then diagonally into lozenge shapes.
- 5Cut the scallion greens into bite-sized pieces.
- 6Heat the wok over high heat, then add some peanut oil. When hot, add the fish and stir with chopsticks to separate the slices; when they are white but not fully cooked, remove with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- 7Drain off all but three tablespoons of the oil, and return the wok to the stove top over high heat; add the garlic, ginger, mushrooms and peppers and stir-fry until fragrant; add the fish and season with soy sauce, vinegar and salt to taste; add the stock, and then the cornstarch paste, stirring as it thickens the liquid to a glaze.
- 8Stir in the scallion greens and then, off the heat, the sesame oil. Serve.
Browse Our Top Halibut Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Velveted Fish
Serving Size: 1 (174 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 168.4
- Calories from Fat 27
- Total Fat 3.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.5 g
- Cholesterol 60.3 mg
- Sodium 447.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 9.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
- Sugars 1.5 g
- Protein 24.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: