1/3 Photos of Tom's General Tso's Chicken
WI Tom's Note:
This isn't quite like the original, but it's my take on it. I would consider it a bit healthier than what you're served at a Chinese restaurant because there is no breading and deep-frying involved. I've never really used measurements before, so I'll do my best. As a result, you should season it to your tastes! (I prefer mine to be quite spicy)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 red chili pepper, chopped (i use thai chiles)
- 1 tablespoon gingerroot, minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 -3 tablespoons flour
- 1 pinch sugar
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 dash rice wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 4 chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 -3 cups broccoli florets (use as little or as much as you'd like)
- 1Save yourself a little time and chop the all the garlic and ginger when you make the marinade!
- 2Mix together the chili peppers, 1 tbsp ginger, 1 clove garlic, sugar, soy sauce, vinegar and sesame oil in a wok until sugar is dissolved. Heat it up a little just to make sure sugar is totally dissolved. Let it cool for a couple minutes.
- 3Put the chicken and broccoli into a large bowl and coat it with the flour.
- 4Pour the marinade over the chicken and broccoli; mix to coat, and marinate for at least 15 minutes but no longer than 2 hours.
- 5Heat wok over high heat until very hot and add the oil.
- 6Working quickly add the ginger, garlic, chili (optional), sugar, soy sauce, and rice wine vinegar and stir to combine.
- 7Add the chicken and broccoli in the wok along with the marinade and continue to cook until the chicken is brown (about 1-2 minutes).
- 8Once the chicken is brown, add the tomato paste and water (or broth) and stir it until the tomato paste is incorporated.
- 9Continue to cook for another 1-2 minutes, until chicken is done and sauce has thickened.
- 10Taste the sauce and season to taste with more soy, vinegar, sugar, chiles, etc --
- 11Serve with rice.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Tom's General Tso's Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (186 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 350.8
- Calories from Fat 164
- Total Fat 18.2 g
- Saturated Fat 4.5 g
- Cholesterol 92.8 mg
- Sodium 2177.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 10.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.0 g
- Sugars 2.2 g
- Protein 36.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
rice wine vinegar
rice wine vinegar