if you've ever been to Taiwan, you've prob. had this at one point! if not, you're missing out! these are the approximate measurements i use, add more or less soy sauce to get your desired saltiness. sweet potato starch is used to coat the chicken to achieve the "street stall chicken" texture, if you cant find it you can use corn or potato starch but the texture will be different
- cut the chicken to 1 inch cubes.
- add the garlic, ginger, soy sauce, sugar, five spice, and sesame oil, marinate for at least half an hour in refrigerator.
- roll the chicken pieces in the sweet potato starch to cover evenly.
- heat oil to about 350 degrees Fahrenheit (if you throw some sweet potato starch in the oil, it should sink to the middle of the frying pan, then float to the top).
- carefully drop the chicken one piece at a time and fry for about 2 minutes or until done, turning at least once.
- remove from oil and place on paper towels, sprinkle white pepper and salt while hot, enjoy!