Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is an adaptation/combination of several recipes from Eating Well magazine. I have adjusted the spices for my family's tastes. More red pepper will give it more of a kick. Serve with rice.
- 1⁄3 cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar, plus
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1⁄2 lb shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 small onion, sliced thin
- 1 1⁄2 cups mushrooms (canned or fresh)
- sesame seeds (optional)
- Combine first 8 ingredients in a small bowl and whisk to combine for sauce.
- Set aside.
- Heat oil in skillet to very hot.
- Toss in salt, onion, garlic, mushrooms and sesame seeds (if using), stirring until onions are tender.
- Stir in shrimp until pink.
- Finally, add sauce and stir for an additional 1 to 2 minutes.
Great recipe. This will go into our stir-fry dinner rotation. I made as written and might add some red pepper flakes next time for extra heat. Served with rice.
Great taste. Sweet with a very slight hint of spicyness. For my taste, I would of like more spiceyness in the dish. Next time I will add a dryed pepper when sauteing the onions. Overall, great dish. Thank you for posting.
Phenomenal flavor! I was pleasantly surprised with the bold taste of this meal! Thank you for posting this. It's my new favorite!