An easy to prepare, vegetarian version of the Chinese-restaurant standard. If you like, add a pinch of crushed red pepper or chile-garlic sauce to give the sauce a little heat. For a more substantial meal, add more veggies (onion, scallions, snap peas, and carrots work well).
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (20 ounce) can pineapple chunks or 1 (20 ounce) can pineapple tidbits, packed in juice
- 3 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 tablespoons reduced sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 (14 ounce) package water-packed extra firm tofu, drained, rinsed and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 1 large red bell pepper, cut into 1/2-by-2-inch strips
- 1 large green bell pepper, cut into 1/2-by-2-inch strips
- 1Drain and set aside pineapple, reserving 1/4 cup of the juice. Whisk the reserved pineapple juice, vinegar, ketchup, soy sauce and sugar in a medium bowl until smooth. Place tofu in a large bowl; toss with 3 tablespoons of the sauce. Let marinate for at least 5 minutes and up to 30 minutes (the longer the better).
- 2Meanwhile, add cornstarch to the remaining sauce and whisk until smooth.
- 3Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Transfer the tofu to the pan using a slotted spoon; whisk any remaining marinade into the bowl of reserved sauce. Cook the tofu, stirring every 1 to 2 minutes, until golden brown, 7 to 9 minutes total. Transfer to a plate.
- 4Add the remaining oil to the pan and heat over medium heat. Add garlic and ginger and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add red and green peppers and cook, stirring often, until just tender, 2 to 3 minutes. Pour in the reserved sauce and cook, stirring, until thickened, about 30 seconds. Add the tofu and pineapple and cook, stirring gently, until heated through, about 2 minutes more.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sweet & Sour Tofu
Serving Size: 1 (356 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 272.8
- Calories from Fat 103
- Total Fat 11.5 g
- Saturated Fat 1.4 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 401.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 37.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.7 g
- Sugars 29.0 g
- Protein 10.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
rice wine vinegar