1/2 Photos of Sweet & Sour Popcorn Chicken
Halcyon Eve's Note:
From Simple & Delicious. You could probably also use popcorn fish or other frozen, breaded or battered, bite-sized meat or seafood or even Quorn nuggets for vegetarians. I served it with Egg Drop Soup #185685 and Fried Rice #185688, plus some chicken & vegetable egg rolls. It's very delicious and simple to throw together. There's a lot of sauce, which was great for dipping the egg rolls into. The serving sizes for this and the other two recipes were fairly generous, too--we ate heartily and still had leftovers for DH's lunch. My toddler couldn't get enough of the chicken in the sauce (though I wish he'd done better with the fruit and veggies!).
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 (20 ounce) can pineapple chunks in juice
- 3 tablespoons white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 (12 ounce) package popcorn chicken
- 1In a large skillet or wok, heat oil. Stir-fry pepper and onion for 3-4 minutes or until crisp-tender.
- 2Drain pineapple, reserving juice in a 2-cup measuring cup; set pineapple aside. Add enough water to the juice to make 1 1/3 cups. Stir in the vinegar, soy sauce and ketchup.
- 3In a bowl, combine brown sugar and cornstarch. Stir in pineapple juice mixture and mix until smooth. Gradually add to skillet. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add pineapple. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 4-5 minutes or until heated through.
- 4Meanwhile, microwave chicken according to package instructions. Stir into pineapple mixture. Serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sweet & Sour Popcorn Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (241 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 230.0
- Calories from Fat 32
- Total Fat 3.6 g
- Saturated Fat 0.4 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 359.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 49.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.1 g
- Sugars 42.1 g
- Protein 1.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: