A delicious, healthy stir fry that is also low-fat! From the Beauty Food Cookbook. Hope you enjoy!
- 1⁄2 cup brown basmati rice
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 small carrots
- 1⁄2 red bell pepper
- 1 green onion
- fresh ginger (walnut size piece)
- 1⁄4 large fresh pineapple
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 tablespoons grated unsweetened coconut
- 4 ounces bean sprouts
- 6 ounces shrimp, peeled and de-veined
- soy sauce
- In a saucepan, stir the rice over medium high heat until lightly toasted.
- Add the water and salt and bring to a boil.
- Cover tightly and simmer over low heat for 20 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.
- Meanwhile, wash, trim and peel the carrots, then cut into slices.
- Halve the bell pepper, remove the seeds, rinse and cut into squares.
- Trim the green onion and cut into thin rings.
- Peel the ginger and cut into very thin strips.
- Peel and halve the pineapple and cut away core and any brown spots.
- Chop flesh of pineapple.
- In a wok or large skillet, heat the oil over medium - high heat.
- Add the carrots, pepper, and green onion and stir-fry briefly.
- Then gradually add the coconut, ginger and bean sprouts sirring continuously.
- Add the cooked rice, pineapple and shrimp.
- Stir - fry until the shrimp just turns opaque.
- Season with soy sauce and serve immediately.