I love the pinkish red sweet and sour sauce that is served in Chinese restaurants...I have tried dozens of recipes and been disappointed so I made this one by trial and error...this is the closest I have come to getting that flavor.
- 1⁄3 cup white vinegar
- 1 cup water
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon msg
- 1⁄8 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ginger paste, minced ginger or 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh minced ginger
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Over medium heat bring Part 1 ingredients to a boil.
- Mix Part 2 ingredients and add to boiling mixture.
- Cook until bubbly and thick.
- Remove from stove and add Part 3 ingredients.
- This will keep in the refrigerator for weeks.
- Room temperature ketchup mixes easier than refrigerated.
- Serve warm.