1 hr 15 mins
I found the recipe for Sweet and Sour Pork in "What's Cooking Chinese" and altered it a bit to use chicken instead. It's very tasty and addicting, and makes an excellent family dinner.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- vegetable oil
- 8 ounces boneless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and sliced
- 8 ounces pineapple chunks
- 1 carrot, peeled and cut into thin strips
- 1 ounce canned bamboo shoot, drained,rinsed and halved
- rice or noodles, to serve
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1Sift the flour into the mixing bowl, along with the cornstarch and baking powder to make the batter.
- 2Add the vegetable oil and stir in just barely enough water to make a smooth, thick batter, which will yield about 3/4 cup.
- 3Put the wok on the stove and pour roughly 2/3 cup of vegetable oil into it, then heat until almost smoking.
- 4After it is almost smoking, lower the heat slightly.
- 5Then dip the pieces of chicken into the batter and cover them in the batter.
- 6After they are covered in batter, cook them in the wok for 2-3 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through.
- 7It's acceptable to do the chicken in batches instead of all at once.
- 8Remove chicken from the wok with a slotted spoon and keep it warm, I'd recommend keeping it in the oven until it is needed.
- 9Drain all but roughly 1 tablespoon of oil from the wok.
- 10Add the bell pepper, pineapple pieces, onion, bamboo shoots, and carrot to the wok, and then stir-fry it for 1-2 minutes.
- 11Remove the vegetables from the wok with a slotted spoon and set them aside for now.
- 12Mix all the sauce ingredients together until they are combined, and then pour the sauce into the wok.
- 13Bring the wok to a boil and stir the sauce until it is thick and clear.
- 14Cook it for about 1 minute, then return the chicken and vegetables to the wok.
- 15Cook all of this for 1-2 more minutes, and then serve with rice or noodles.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sweet and Sour Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (458 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 490.7
- Calories from Fat 83
- Total Fat 9.2 g
- Saturated Fat 2.0 g
- Cholesterol 36.2 mg
- Sodium 324.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 86.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.6 g
- Sugars 51.1 g
- Protein 17.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
white wine vinegar