I really like this recipe from McCall's Cooking School (Meat 39). Its introduction states: "This Chinese method of cooking uses a small amount of oil over high heat. Meat stays tender and juicy, vegetables crisp and colorful. Our version of this exquisite cuisine: snow peas, bok choy, green onions, water chestnuts and baby corn tossed with sirloin-steak slices and egg noodles."
- 1 lb sirloin steak, 1 inch thick
- peanut oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 dash pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄2 lb fresh snow pea
- 1 bunch bok choy (1 3/4 pound)
- 6 green onions
- 1 (8 ounce) can water chestnuts, drained
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄2 cup cold water
- 1⁄4 cup dry sherry
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 (8 ounce) package chinese noodles or 4 ounces spaghetti
- 1⁄2 cup beef broth
- 1 (15 ounce) can baby corn, drained
- Pat steak dry with paper towels. Partially freeze beef, about 15 minutes, in order to make slicing it easier. Then, using sharp knife, cut steak in half lengthwise, then cross-wise, on diagonal, into slices 1/8 inch thick; set aside.
- In large shallow bowl, toss steak slices with 1 tablespoon peanut oil, salt, sugar, pepper and minced garlic; mix well. Let stand at room temperature 15 minutes. Rinse snow peas under cold water; drain. With fingers, remove stem ends and strings; do not shell.
- Prepare bok choy: Cut base from stalk; discard. Cut stems into 1/4-inch diagonal slices; cut leaves into 1-inch pieces. Wash stems and leaves separately; dry on paper towels. Wash green onions; pat dry; trim off roots and green tops; cut into 1/2-inch diagonal slices.
- In small bowl, combine cornstarch, water, sherry and soy sauce; mix well; set aside. Fill an 8-quart kettle with water and bring to the boil; Add Chinese noodles or spaghetti and cook as package label directs; drain, and keep warm.
- Heat 1 tablespoon peanut oil in large, heavy skillet or wok. Add green onion; with slotted spoon, stir-fry 1 minute. Add snow peas, water chestnuts, bok-choy stems and beef broth; cook, covered, over high heat 2 minutes. Remove vegetables and liquid from the pan.
- Add 2 tablespoons oil and the beef; stir-fry over high heat 2 minutes. Return cooked vegetables and the corn to skillet; add bok-choy leaves; stir in cornstarch mixture; cook until sauce is thickened. Add noodles, and toss gently.
- Serve on pre-warmed platter.