Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Chicken rubbed with salt and then steamed, served with a ginger-scallion dipping sauce to bring out its full flavor. Serve with steamed rice. Serves 4 as a main course or 8 as part of a multi-dish Chinese style dinner.
- Rinse the chicken in cold, running water, and blot dry completely with paper towels.
- Rub the salt all over the skin of the chicken and inside the cavity.
- Place the chicken, breast-side down, on a heat proof platter, and set aside for 15 minutes.
- Set up your steamer, or place a rack inside a wok or other deep pan.
- Fill with about 2 inches of hot water.
- Cover tightly and gently steam over medium heat for 1 hour, replenishing the water from time to time.
- Remove the platter of cooked chicken and pour off all of the liquid.
- In a small bowl, combine the sugar, salt, soy sauce, ginger, garlic, and scallions.
- In a small pan, combine the oils and heat until they smoke.
- Pour the hot oils over the ginger-scallion mixture.
- Chop the chicken into serving sized pieces and serve with dipping sauce.
I know I shouldn't rate it if I change it, but this was seriously amazing. I didn't have a roasting chicken so I just poached some chicken breasts. I also just drizzled the soy sauce and sesame oil on the breasts, and just heated up 1/2 a cup of vegetable oil. When you pour the oil over the vegetables, do it in a BIG bowl, it'll crackle and pop. I want to put this sauce on everything, so few ingredients and so much flavor! I've eaten this dish in China many times, and this is just as good!
We call it White Chicken.. and when I tried this recipe, I cant believe it tastes like what we used to order at the Chinese Restaurant here in the Philippines..YUMMY!!!!!