1 hr 25 mins
Chicken rubbed with salt and then steamed, served with a ginger-scallion dipping sauce to bring out its full flavor. Serve with steamed rice. Serves 4 as a main course or 8 as part of a multi-dish Chinese style dinner.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Rinse the chicken in cold, running water, and blot dry completely with paper towels.
- 2Rub the salt all over the skin of the chicken and inside the cavity.
- 3Place the chicken, breast-side down, on a heat proof platter, and set aside for 15 minutes.
- 4Set up your steamer, or place a rack inside a wok or other deep pan.
- 5Fill with about 2 inches of hot water.
- 6Cover tightly and gently steam over medium heat for 1 hour, replenishing the water from time to time.
- 7Remove the platter of cooked chicken and pour off all of the liquid.
- 8In a small bowl, combine the sugar, salt, soy sauce, ginger, garlic, and scallions.
- 9In a small pan, combine the oils and heat until they smoke.
- 10Pour the hot oils over the ginger-scallion mixture.
- 11Chop the chicken into serving sized pieces and serve with dipping sauce.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Steamed Chicken (Zheng Ji) With Ginger-Scallion Dipping Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (141 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 7
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 361.0
- Calories from Fat 249
- Total Fat 27.7 g
- Saturated Fat 7.3 g
- Cholesterol 106.9 mg
- Sodium 1359.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 0.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.1 g
- Sugars 0.1 g
- Protein 25.4 g