1/3 Photos of Steamed and Roasted Whole Duck
2 hrs 30 mins
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1To reduce the fat and produce a crispy skin, begin by trimming the excess fat from the neck and body.
- 2Rinse the duck, inside and out, and pat dry thoroughly with paper towels.
- 3Combine the Chinese five-spice, sugar, and salt in a small bowl.
- 4Rub the spice mixture all over the duck, inside and out.
- 5Salt and five-spice powder makes a fragrant dry marinade, which draws some of the moisture from the duck so that the spices penetrate.
- 6Stuff the duck cavity with the aromatics: the ginger, garlic, green onions, and tangerine peel.
- 7Fold the wing tips back under the duck and tie the legs together with kitchen string.
- 8Poke the duck breast a few times, piercing the skin.
- 9Place a roasting pan on the stovetop over 2 burners and fill with 2-inches of water, turn the heat to medium.
- 10Set a V-rack insert inside the pan and lay the duck on the rack, breast-side up.
- 11Cover tightly with aluminum foil.
- 12Steam the duck for 45 minutes, checking the water level periodically.
- 13Steaming the duck first melts away some of the fat and shrinks the skin.
- 14In a small saucepan combine the vinegar, honey, and soy sauce over low heat.
- 15Bring to a boil and simmer and stir for 15 minutes until sauce thickens.
- 16The duck will be lacquered with the sweet glaze, which caramelizes during roasting, making the skin crisp and brown.
- 17Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- 18Take the foil off the duck, remove the rack with the duck, and pour out the water and all the fat that has rendered out.
- 19Put the rack with the duck back inside the roasting pan.
- 20Baste the duck with the vinegar mixture, until all the skin is completely coated in the glaze.
- 21Stick the whole thing in the oven.
- 22Roast the duck for 1 hour, basting periodically with any remaining glaze to set in a deep mahogany color.
- 23Tent the breast with some foil if it gets too dark.
- 24The legs will wiggle easily when it's done.
- 25Carve and serve.
Browse Our Top Duck Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Steamed and Roasted Whole Duck
Serving Size: 1 (449 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 2924.7
- Calories from Fat 2247
- Total Fat 249.7 g
- Saturated Fat 83.8 g
- Cholesterol 481.8 mg
- Sodium 6757.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 89.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.5 g
- Sugars 80.5 g
- Protein 82.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
Chinese five spice powder