1/1 Photo of St. Paul Sandwich
Sue Lau's Note:
A take-off of the well known Cantonese egg fu yung and local to the St. Louis area, this can now be found nationwide, in the local chop suey houses and Chinese express type restaurants. Surprisingly, the sandwich has nothing to do with St. Paul and why the sandwich is named that is unclear. But for anyone growing up in the St. Louis area might find this sandwich to be a happy memory, and a recipe almost lost to the culinary community.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 5 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup fresh bean sprout
- 1/4 cup green onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup sliced celery
- 1/4 cup slivered yellow onion
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 cup cooked pork or 1 cup cooked ham or 1 cup cooked chicken or 1 cup cooked shrimp, chopped
- 8 slices soft white bread (such as Wonder)
- cooking oil
- 4 pieces iceberg lettuce
- 4 -8 slices ripe tomatoes
- 4 dill pickle slices
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1In a small bowl, whisk together eggs, salt, and pepper.
- 2Whisk together the soy sauce with cornstarch in a small bowl or cup.
- 3Heat a small amount of oil in a skillet and add vegetables, and saute over medium heat until they cook through. Set them aside to cool.
- 4When cool, add the cooked vegetables, soy sauce with cornstarch, sesame oil, and main ingredient of choice (pork, ham, etc.)to the beaten eggs, stirring to mix well.
- 5Heat a small amount of oil in a skillet and when hot pour in about 1/2 cup of the foo yung mixture.
- 6When the underside browns, flip the patty and brown the other side.
- 7Serve patty on soft white bread with lettuce, tomato, pickle, and mayo.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for St. Paul Sandwich
Serving Size: 1 (211 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 311.2
- Calories from Fat 123
- Total Fat 13.7 g
- Saturated Fat 3.2 g
- Cholesterol 236.3 mg
- Sodium 893.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 33.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.5 g
- Sugars 5.8 g
- Protein 13.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: