Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
The title says it all, I think. I like the peppery-ness of the napa cabbage with the sweet peppers. Feel free to add the veggies you like (sometimes I use eggplant). Just make sure you don't cook the veggies until they're mushy. You want them to still be firm, but not raw.
- 1 (8 ounce) package firm tofu (or extra firm)
- 2 teaspoons chili-garlic sauce (more or less according to taste)
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce (I use low-sodium)
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons rice wine
- 1 teaspoon fresh grated ginger
- 1⁄4 cup low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 cup mushroom, sliced in half
- 1 large red pepper (orange or yellow are good, too(just chop it into roughly 1 by 2 inch pieces)
- 1⁄4 cup sliced green onion
- 2 cups shredded napa cabbage
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch (mixed in 2 T cold water, cornstarch slurry)
- Cube tofu into approximately 1 by 2 inch pieces.
- Set on top of paper towels and press (not too hard, you don't want to mash the tofu) on the top with more paper towels to rid the tofu of excess moisture.
- Mix: chili garlic sauce, minced garlic, 1 T sesame oil, soy sauce, rice vinegar, rice wine, ginger, and chicken/veg stock.
- Add tofu into chili sauce mixture. Make sure all pieces are in contact with the liquid. Let soak for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Put frying pan over med-high heat. Once pan has heated, add 1 T sesame oil.
- Put marinated tofu in pan, brown all sides.
- Remove tofu and set aside.
- Add cornstarch slurry to remaining marinade, mix. (Add a few more tablespoons of soy sauce or rice wine or vinegar if necessary--you want this to be enough to eventually coat the vegetables as a light sauce).
- Put mushrooms and peppers into frying pan. Stir constantly over high heat for 2 minutes.
- Add green onion and napa cabbage. Stir constantly for 1-2 minutes.
- Pour leftover marinade over vegetables, stir. Add browned tofu and chopped cilantro. When heated through, remove from heat.
- Serve with rice.
Like a bit more bite, did not use mushroom, added 1/4 cup thinly julienned carrot, used vegetable stock making it vegetarian. Used chili oil to brown the tofu, 3 tbsp chili sauce, hot sesame oil. Used a bit more veg. stock adding some to deglaze pan after cooking the tofu. Did not have fresh cilantro used dried. Had no need of cornstarch without the water from the mushroom. Got the heat I wanted, it came out delicious.
Very delicious, I accidentally forgot the cilantro at the end...Oh well. I also think that I will add more chili-garlic sauce because I would have liked it to be a bit spicier. I added about 1-2 tbsp. peanut butter to mine and used udon noodles instead of the rice as stated.
I didn't have the cilantro, but this recipe was fantastic. I think next time I will add a whole tablespoon of chili sauce though because I think that it would have been even better a little spicier.