Prep 1 hr
Cook 20 mins
A wonderful and easy way to cook a 1-plate meal for two! It incorporates both Chinese and Malaysian style of cooking. The crispy anchovies are REALLY good! It will be waaay more yummy if you add some meat e.g. diced chicken, pork or shrimps.
- 100 g rice noodles or 100 g vermicelli
- 2 cups Chinese cabbage
- 1 cup bean sprouts
- 3 pieces shiitake mushrooms (about 1 cup)
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup dried shrimp
- 1⁄2 cup anchovy (we call it ikan bilis in malaysia) (optional)
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 tablespoon shrimp paste (belacan powder)
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- soy sauce, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- salt, to taste
- chili flakes, to taste
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 small eggs
- Soak noodles in cold water for 1/2 hour or warm water for 15mins, then drain.
- Beat eggs with fork in a small bowl, with a pinch of salt and black pepper.
- Spray non-stick frying pan with cooking spray and fry beaten eggs.
- Remove and slice egg into strips.
- Heat canola oil in non-stick frying pan.
- Once hot, fry anchovies until golden brown and fragrant.
- Remove and use kitchen paper towel to soak up excess oil from anchovies.
- Still using the remaining oil, saute garlic, onions and dried shrimps for approx 2 minutes over medium heat, until fragrant.
- Add cabbage, sprouts and mushrooms, saute for 1-2 minutes (until half-cooked).
- Add curry powder, belacan powder, black pepper, oyster sauce, chilli flakes, continue to stir fry.
- Add pre-soaked noodle and stir-fry until noodles are cooked.
- Add soy sauce (i use about 1 tablespoon), stir-fry until sauce is well-incorporated in noodles (you may want to taste noodles before adding too much soy sauce).
- Top with crispy anchovies and sliced egg-strips before serving.
i have made this twice. the first time i let the noodles soak for an hour and they disintergrated in the wok. the second time i soaked the rice noodles for 15 minutes and it made a big difference. this dish has alot of flavor, i added 1/2 lb of raw shrimp as well as the dried. this is a quick, easy meal.