1/2 Photos of Spicy Mongolian Beef
Chef #302958's Note:
This recipe is nice and spicy. The version below has an average amount of chili in it, but if you are like us and love a bit of heat you can add another couple of spoons of Sambal Oelek. Better yet, go crazy with some Sriracha sauce or some fresh chilies. This recipe is adapted from an Australian Women's Weekly cookbook. UPDATE: Changed the cut of meat after the first review to make it more relevant to North America.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1/2 cup dark soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon black bean sauce
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons sambal oelek
- 500 g flank steaks, finely sliced
- 1 teaspoon five-spice powder
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 medium brown onion, finely chopped
- 1 head broccoli, cut into florets
- 1 medium carrot, finely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 10 snow peas, chopped in half
- 1/3 cup beef stock or 1/3 cup vegetable stock or 1/3 cup water
- 1Combine cornstarch with vinegar and half of the sauces.
- 2Marinate beef in bowl with five spice, sugar, garlic, egg and sauce mixture for an hour (or as long as you've got).
- 3Heat half the oil in a wok. Stir-fry beef in batches, leaving the excess marinade in the bowl. Set cooked beef aside.
- 4Heat remaining oil in wok and stir-fry onion until soft. Add carrot and bell pepper and cook for a further minute, leaving the vegetables crispy.
- 5Return beef to wok with broccoli and snow peas. Add the saved marinade, the rest of the sauces and the stock. Cook, stirring often, until sauce biols and thickens slightly.
- 6Serve with your favourite type of rice or noodles.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spicy Mongolian Beef
Serving Size: 1 (871 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 738.0
- Calories from Fat 284
- Total Fat 31.6 g
- Saturated Fat 10.5 g
- Cholesterol 208.2 mg
- Sodium 4528.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 42.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 11.8 g
- Sugars 15.6 g
- Protein 74.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
black bean sauce