I was surprised to find that this recipe isn't posted. We love this and always look forward to it. Crispy Rice is a separate recipe.#112338
- 4 large dried black mushrooms, stems removed
- 1 medium boneless skinless chicken breast (about 6 ounces)
- 1 1⁄4 inches fresh ginger, peeled
- 1⁄4 cup barbecued pork or 1⁄4 cup cooked ham
- 4 ounces shrimp
- 1⁄4 cup canned bamboo shoot
- 1⁄4 cup canned water chestnut
- 5 cups chicken stock or 5 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup reserved mushroom liquid
- 1 tablespoon dark soy sauce
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons rice wine or 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dry sherry
- salt and pepper
- 3 -5 drops sesame oil
- crispy rice (see directions for recipe)
- vegetable oil, for deep-frying
- Soak mushrooms in hot water for about 20 minutes.
- Strain the liquid and reserve 1 cup for the soup.
- Cut mushrooms into quarters.
- Cut the water chestnuts and bamboo shoots into thin slices.
- Bring a pot of water to boil.
- Add the chicken and ginger and briefly blanch the chicken, just until it changes color.
- Drain and cut the chicken into thin slices.
- Bring the chicken stock or broth and the reserved mushroom liquid to a boil.
- Add the chicken and pork, shrimp and the vegetables.
- Let simmer for a few minutes, then add the soy sauce, sherry, and the salt and pepper.
- Drizzle with the sesame oil.
- Bring back to a boil and then let simmer for a few more minutes.
- Place the soup in a large serving bowl and keep warm.
- Heat wok and add oil for deep-frying.
- When oil is ready, add the Crispy Rice.
- Deep-fry until it puffs and turns brown, then drain on paper towels.
- Add the rice to the soup at the table, so that guests can hear the rice make popping sounds when added to the broth.