Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
This works best with rice that has been prepared earlier, then completely chilled in the fridge. From Jamie Oliver's Ministry Of Food.
- sea salt
- black pepper, freshly ground
- 200 g long grain rice (or basmati rice)
- 230 g sirloin steaks (or rump steak)
- fresh ginger, thumb-sized piece
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1⁄2 fresh red chili
- 2 spring onions
- 1 small bunch fresh coriander
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- peanut oil
- 2 tablespoons black bean sauce, good quality
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 limes
- 1 egg, free range
- TO PREPARE YOUR STIR-FRY:.
- Bring a pan of salted water to the boil, add the rice and cook according to the packet instructions.
- Drain the rice in a sieve, run it under a cold tap to cool, then allow to dry out in the fridge.
- Trim any excess fat from your steak and slice the meat into finger sized strips.
- Peel and finely slice the ginger and garlic.
- Finely slice the chili.
- Cut the ends off your spring onions and finely slice.
- Pick the coriander leaves and put to one side, and finely chop the coriander stalks.
- Get yourself a big bowl and put in the ginger, garlic, chilli, spring onions, coriander stalks and steak strips.
- Add the sesame oil and mix everything together.
- TO COOK YOUR STIR-FRY:.
- Preheat a wok or large frying pan on a high heat and once it's very, very hot add a good splash of groundnut oil and swirl it around.
- Add all your chopped ingredients from the bowl.
- Give the pan a really good shake to mix everything around quickly.
- Stir-fry for 2 minutes, taking care to keep everything moving so it doesn't burn.
- Add the blackbean sauce, and stir in 1 tablespoon of soy sauce and the juice of half a lime.
- Keep tossing.
- Taste and season with black pepper and a little more soy sauce, if required.
- Remove the pan from the heat, transfer everything to a bowl and cover with tin foil.
- Give the pan a quick wipe with a ball of kitchen paper and put back on the heat.
- Add some groundnut oil and swirwl it around.
- Crack in your egg and add a tb soy sauce - the egg will cook very quickly so keep sstirring.
- Once it's scrambled, stir in your chilled rice, scraping the sides and the bottom of the pan as you go.
- Keep mixing for a few minutes until the rice is steaming hot, then taste and season with a little soy sauce if required.
- TO SERVE YOUR STIR-FRY:.
- Divide the rice between two bowls or plates.
- Spoon over the meat and black bean sauce and sprinkle over with coriander leaves.
- Serve with wedges of lime.2.
Kids and hubby loved it. Doubled the recipe and had no leftovers. Thanks!