Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This works best with rice that has been prepared earlier, then completely chilled in the fridge. From Jamie Oliver's Ministry Of Food.
- sea salt
- black pepper, freshly ground
- 200 g long grain rice (or basmati rice)
- 230 g sirloin steaks (or rump steak)
- fresh ginger, thumb-sized piece
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1⁄2 fresh red chili
- 2 spring onions
- 1 small bunch fresh coriander
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- peanut oil
- 2 tablespoons black bean sauce, good quality
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 limes
- 1 egg, free range
- TO PREPARE YOUR STIR-FRY:.
- Bring a pan of salted water to the boil, add the rice and cook according to the packet instructions.
- Drain the rice in a sieve, run it under a cold tap to cool, then allow to dry out in the fridge.
- Trim any excess fat from your steak and slice the meat into finger sized strips.
- Peel and finely slice the ginger and garlic.
- Finely slice the chili.
- Cut the ends off your spring onions and finely slice.
- Pick the coriander leaves and put to one side, and finely chop the coriander stalks.
- Get yourself a big bowl and put in the ginger, garlic, chilli, spring onions, coriander stalks and steak strips.
- Add the sesame oil and mix everything together.
- TO COOK YOUR STIR-FRY:.
- Preheat a wok or large frying pan on a high heat and once it's very, very hot add a good splash of groundnut oil and swirl it around.
- Add all your chopped ingredients from the bowl.
- Give the pan a really good shake to mix everything around quickly.
- Stir-fry for 2 minutes, taking care to keep everything moving so it doesn't burn.
- Add the blackbean sauce, and stir in 1 tablespoon of soy sauce and the juice of half a lime.
- Keep tossing.
- Taste and season with black pepper and a little more soy sauce, if required.
- Remove the pan from the heat, transfer everything to a bowl and cover with tin foil.
- Give the pan a quick wipe with a ball of kitchen paper and put back on the heat.
- Add some groundnut oil and swirwl it around.
- Crack in your egg and add a tb soy sauce - the egg will cook very quickly so keep sstirring.
- Once it's scrambled, stir in your chilled rice, scraping the sides and the bottom of the pan as you go.
- Keep mixing for a few minutes until the rice is steaming hot, then taste and season with a little soy sauce if required.
- TO SERVE YOUR STIR-FRY:.
- Divide the rice between two bowls or plates.
- Spoon over the meat and black bean sauce and sprinkle over with coriander leaves.
- Serve with wedges of lime.2.