Wow! I used to love "paper wrapped chicken" that the Chinese restaurants serve... but it has been a very long time since I have had any good ones. These are fantastic!! We just loved them, and couldn't wait to share! The preparation time does not include marinating overnight. This is originally from Bon Appetit, September 1995.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 5 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1/4 cup Chinese bean garlic sauce
- 1/4 cup minced green onion
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 3 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry
- 2 tablespoons oriental sesame oil
- 4 teaspoons fresh ginger, peeled and minced
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon five-spice powder
- 12 chicken thighs, each split crosswise into 2 pieces
- 164 fl. oz. Vegetable Oil, for frying (enough to reach 6" in your choice of Dutch Oven) You will also need: 24 9" foil squares.
- 2Combine first 12 ingredients in a large bowl and stir to blend.
- 3Add the chicken and turn to coat.
- 4Cover and refrigerate overnight, stirring occasionally.
- 5Place 1 foil square on work surface with 1 corner pointing toward the edge.
- 6Place 1 chicken piece in the center of the foil.
- 7Drizzle with 1 teaspoon of marinade.
- 8Fold the bottom corner of the foil over the chicken, and fold the sides inches.
- 9Lift up the section of foil containing the chicken, and fold upward leaving the top corner of foil exposed.
- 10Fold the top corner into the flap.
- 11Repeat with remaining chicken and foil.
- 12Discard remaining marinade.
- 13Pour the vegetable oil into a large, heavy Dutch Oven to a depth of 6 inches.
- 14Heat to 350°F.
- 15Working in batches, carefully add the chicken packages (be prepared for the oil to bubble vigorously).
- 16Fry until chicken is cooked through, about 8 minutes per batch.
- 17Using tongs, transfer packages to paper towels and drain.
- 18Arrange the packages on a platter and serve warm.
- 19Note: Can be served as a meal for 4 or as appetizers!
Browse Our Top Chicken Thigh & Leg Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Thigh & Leg Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Silver - Wrapped Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (368 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 803.8
- Calories from Fat 452
- Total Fat 50.2 g
- Saturated Fat 13.0 g
- Cholesterol 237.2 mg
- Sodium 2539.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 33.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.7 g
- Sugars 28.8 g
- Protein 51.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
Chinese bean garlic sauce