1/2 Photos of Sichuan Braised Cod
Gandalf The White's Note:
Very simple, spicy, low cholesterol dish. Not authentically Sichuan, but close enough.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar, unseasoned (to taste)
- 3/4 cup chicken broth, low salt
- 1/4 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 1 1/2 lbs cod fish fillets, thick (often called "cod loins", cut into 4 uniform pieces)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, kosher, to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 3 tablespoons canola oil (or peanut oil)
- 10 dried thail chilies or 10 other small whole chilies
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced, white and green parts separated
- 1 1/2 tablespoons ginger, minced
- 1In a small bowl, mix the 2 tsp corn starch with the 2 Tbsp rice vinegar.
- 2Add the chicken broth, soy sauce, and ketchup.
- 3Season the fish with 1/2 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp pepper.
- 4Spread the 1/2 cup of corn starch on a wide plate.
- 5Put the eggs in a bowl wide enough to dip the largest pice of cod.
- 6Dredge the fish in the corn starch.
- 7Heat 2 Tbsp of oil in a 12 inch non-stick pan over medium high heat until shimmering.
- 8Move each piece of cod from the corn starch to the egg to coat, then put into the pan.
- 9Cook on the first side for 3 minutes, then turning the fish, until brown on all sides and a little firm to the touch (total cooking time will be about 5 minutes) -- it should NOT be cooked all the way through.
- 10Transfer the fish to a large plate.
- 11Add the remaining 1 Tbsp of oil to the pan, let it warm up, then add the chiles, the white parts of the scallion, and the ginger. Stir fry for 2 ;minutes, until the scallions become translucent, with some brown spots.
- 12Stir the corn starch and vinegar mixture, then pour it into the pan and stir. The sauce should come to a boil and thicken.
- 13Reduce the heat to medium low, return the fish to the pan, and flip it to coat all the pieces uniformly with sauce. Cover the pan, with the lid slightly ajar, and cook for 3-5 minutes, until the fish is cooked fully and starting to flake.
- 14Taste the sauce and re-season with salt and pepper if necessary.
- 15Put the fish on a serving plate (or individual plates) and garnish with the scallion greens.
Browse Our Top Saltwater Fish Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Saltwater Fish Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sichuan Braised Cod
Serving Size: 1 (407 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 403.0
- Calories from Fat 131
- Total Fat 14.6 g
- Saturated Fat 1.9 g
- Cholesterol 166.3 mg
- Sodium 662.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 30.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.6 g
- Sugars 7.2 g
- Protein 37.3 g