Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This recipe is from the mind of David Rosengarten. Recipe requires 5.5 hours for marinating time.
Make and share this Sesame Beef With Asparagus recipe from Food.com.
- 6 ounces boneless beef shoulder, trimmed, frozen 30 minutes to 1 hour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 large garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tablespoons garlic, chopped
- 1 egg white
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 5 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon peanut oil
- 4 cups peanut oil, for deep-frying
- 3⁄4 teaspoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons thin soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons shaoxing wine or 2 tablespoons dry sherry
- 2 teaspoons chinese black vinegar or 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon Chinese sesame paste
- 1⁄4 lb pencil-thin asparagus tips (top 4 inches only)
- 1⁄2 small red bell pepper, very thinly sliced
- 4 dried red chili peppers
- 3 scallions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger, chopped
- Slice steak into broad 1/8-inch thick strips, about 1 inch wide and 6 inches long. In a small bowl combine steak strips with baking soda, crushed garlic cloves and 1/4 cup cold water. Mix well and soak 5 hours.
- Rinse steak slices and dry well on paper towels. In a small bowl mix together egg white and salt, stirring vigorously until egg white foams. Stir in sesame seeds, 1 teaspoon sugar, 1 teaspoon peanut oil and cornstarch. Add steak and toss to coat. Marinate 1/2 hour at room temperature. In another small bowl, combine thin soy sauce, Shao Hsing, remaining 4 teaspoons sugar, vinegar, sesame oil and sesame paste; set aside.
- In a wok, heat remaining 4 cups peanut oil over high heat to 375°F Drain beef, pat dry then deep-fry 45 seconds, turning pieces several times with a metal spoon. Using a slotted spoon, remove beef and drain on paper towels. When oil returns to 375F, deep-fry 15 seconds more, remove beef, and drain. Repeat deep-frying, 15 seconds, a third time. Remove beef and drain on clean paper towels. When oil returns to 375 degrees, deep-fry asparagus and red bell pepper 30 seconds. Drain on paper towels.
- Drain off all but 1 tablespoon oil from wok and increase heat to high. Add chili peppers, scallions, chopped garlic and chopped ginger; stir-fry 1 minute. Add asparagus and red pepper; stir-fry 10 seconds and add beef. Stir in soy sauce mixture, bring to a boil and serve immediately with rice.