I got this recipe while watching my Malaysian roommate cook years ago. Personally I like it best with smaller bits of chicken, great for taking to pot-luck dinners or picnics :) I didn't count the marinading time in the preparation time. Makes far more/less pieces depending on size of pieces used. NOTE: I forgot to make it clear in my instruction that this works best with either small chunks of chicken fillet or chicken wings, and suits pieces that will cook quickly above those that require a longer cooking time, I hope that this clarification helps :)
- Make the soy sauce, honey, spice powder, garlic, onion and sesame oil into a marinade mixture.
- Add the chicken pieces for at least 2 hours, but even better, overnight.
- Mix batter ingredients with enough water to form a*thick* batter.
- If not crunchy when fried add slightly more baking powder.
- Dip marinaded chicken into batter and deep fry until cooked and golden brown.