Chef #Pedantic Gourmet's Note:
From Mark Bittman's book, "The Minimalist Cooks at Home". Quick, delicious, and not too high in carbs. Great with a simply grilled piece of fish or Asian flavored chicken, tofu, beef or pork.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Bring a medium pot of salted water to boil while you trim the scallions. roughly chop 3/4 of them, and mince the remainder.
- 2Add the larger portion of scallions to the water and cook about 5 minutes, or until tender. Drain, reserving about 1/2 cup of the cooking liquid. Puree the cooked scallions in a blender, adding just enough of the cooking liquid to allow the machine to do its work. (I used an immersion blender, because I was too lazy to drag out the big blender. Worked just fine.).
- 3Mix the puree with the egg and soy sauce, then gently stir in the flour until blended; add pepper and the reserved minced scallions. Film a non-stick skillet with oil and turn the heat to medium high.
- 4Drop the batter by the tablespoon or 1/4 cup, and cook the pancakes about 2 minutes per side, or until lightly browned. If necessary, pancakes can be held in a 200 degree oven for about 30 minutes.
- 5I serve with just simple soy sauce as a dip.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Quick Scallion Pancakes
Serving Size: 1 (216 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 135.8
- Calories from Fat 73
- Total Fat 8.1 g
- Saturated Fat 1.5 g
- Cholesterol 52.8 mg
- Sodium 140.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 12.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.4 g
- Sugars 0.1 g
- Protein 3.3 g