Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
From Mark Bittman's book, "The Minimalist Cooks at Home". Quick, delicious, and not too high in carbs. Great with a simply grilled piece of fish or Asian flavored chicken, tofu, beef or pork.
- Bring a medium pot of salted water to boil while you trim the scallions. roughly chop 3/4 of them, and mince the remainder.
- Add the larger portion of scallions to the water and cook about 5 minutes, or until tender. Drain, reserving about 1/2 cup of the cooking liquid. Puree the cooked scallions in a blender, adding just enough of the cooking liquid to allow the machine to do its work. (I used an immersion blender, because I was too lazy to drag out the big blender. Worked just fine.).
- Mix the puree with the egg and soy sauce, then gently stir in the flour until blended; add pepper and the reserved minced scallions. Film a non-stick skillet with oil and turn the heat to medium high.
- Drop the batter by the tablespoon or 1/4 cup, and cook the pancakes about 2 minutes per side, or until lightly browned. If necessary, pancakes can be held in a 200 degree oven for about 30 minutes.
- I serve with just simple soy sauce as a dip.