Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 2 mins
This is the best sweet and sour sauce recipe I've ever found. It is very close to the sweet and sour you get at chinese restaurants, a deep pink colour, glossy and tangy.
- 4 tablespoons vinegar
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon dry sherry or 1 tablespoon shaoxing wine
- 3 tablespoons tomato sauce or 3 tablespoons ketchup
- 1⁄2 teaspoon msg (optional)
- 2 teaspoons cornflour
- 1 (225 g) can pineapple chunks in syrup
- 1 medium carrot, grated
- 3 spring onions, sliced
- Mix cornflour and juice from pineapple.
- Mix all other ingredients except vegetables.
- If using as a stir fry sauce, cook your meat and then add mixed sauces.
- Stir through to coat meat.
- Add cornflour and pineapple mix, stirring continually. Allow sauce to boil.
- Add vegetables and pineapple, stir fry for about 30 seconds and serve with rice.
- This sauce can also be used as a dipping sauce, or for pouring over deep fried battered chicken, fish or meat.
- Simply pour the mixed sauces into a pan. Bring to boil.
- Add the cornflour and pineapple mix, stirring continually. Allow to boil.
- Add vegetables and pineapple.
- Serve poured over you favourite meat, or use as a dipping sauce for finger foods.