Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is the best sweet and sour sauce recipe I've ever found. It is very close to the sweet and sour you get at chinese restaurants, a deep pink colour, glossy and tangy.
- 4 tablespoons vinegar
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon dry sherry or 1 tablespoon shaoxing wine
- 3 tablespoons tomato sauce or 3 tablespoons ketchup
- 1⁄2 teaspoon msg (optional)
- 2 teaspoons cornflour
- 1 (225 g) can pineapple chunks in syrup
- 1 medium carrot, grated
- 3 spring onions, sliced
- Mix cornflour and juice from pineapple.
- Mix all other ingredients except vegetables.
- If using as a stir fry sauce, cook your meat and then add mixed sauces.
- Stir through to coat meat.
- Add cornflour and pineapple mix, stirring continually. Allow sauce to boil.
- Add vegetables and pineapple, stir fry for about 30 seconds and serve with rice.
- This sauce can also be used as a dipping sauce, or for pouring over deep fried battered chicken, fish or meat.
- Simply pour the mixed sauces into a pan. Bring to boil.
- Add the cornflour and pineapple mix, stirring continually. Allow to boil.
- Add vegetables and pineapple.
- Serve poured over you favourite meat, or use as a dipping sauce for finger foods.