Found this in a Heloise column. It was requested as a reprint from a recipe originally printed over 40 years ago. This roast beef is marinated and cooked in coffee! I love unusual sounding recipes. Might want to consider decaf!
- With a sharp knife, cut slits all the way through the roast and insert slivers of onions and garlic.
- Put the meat into a bowl and slowly pour the vinegar over it so that it runs down the sides into the slits.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 24-48 hours.
- When ready to cook, pour the vinegar off.
- Place the meat in a heavy dutch oven and brown in oil until very dark on all sides.
- Pour the 2 cups of brewed coffee over the meat and then add 2 cups of water.
- Cover and cook slowly for approximately 6 hours on top of the stove.
- You may need to add more water at some point, so check it once in a while and add only a small amount of water at a time.
- Season well, but do not add the salt and pepper until about 20 minutes before serving.