Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
An experiment to duplicate the cone-shaped cakes from the Chinese bakery
Make and share this Paper-Lined Sponge Cake recipe from Food.com.
- Sieve flour, corn starch and baking powder together.
- Beat egg yolks, sugar, salt and vanilla essence together till thick and creamy. (I beat my egg yolk by sitting the mixing bowl in a basin of hot water).
- Stir the warm corn oil/melted butter and milk into the yolk mixture. Mix well.
- Fold in the sieved flour mixture and mix well.
- Beat egg whites till white in colour and add in sugar by thirds and beat till egg white is stiff.
- Fold half portion of the egg white into egg yolk and blend well.
- Pour the yolk mixture into the remaining egg white and blend well.
- Spoon batter into paper cups lined with baking paper up to 80% full and bake at 180C for 20 minutes or till golden brown.
- Cut baking paper into 19cm x 19cm put it on top of a paper cup then use another paper cup to push the baking paper into the cup (idea from Jo's Deli).
- Be careful not to dirty the baking paper while spooning in the batter otherwise you will get dark brown patches on the baking paper and the paper-lined sponge will not be presentable.
- The paper cups are tall so if you are baking in a small table top oven, for the first 10 - 12 minutes bake it in the middle rack then move it to the lower rack and bake till cooked.