Spice rubs are the perfect way to jazz up mild-flavored fish and poultry. This rub - a blend of spices, herbs, salt, sugar and oil - transforms into a falvorful crust when cooked. Here we brushed the tilapia with a combination of Chinese Five-Spice Powder, salt, cayenne pepper, and oil. A purchased blend of Chinese Five-Spice Powder or one you have made is great - either one will work. CuisineAtHome.com: Issue 73 February 2009 edition. With the sauce - vary the amount of red pepper flakes to adjust the heat of the sauce to your liking.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons ground star anise
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground fennel
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground szechwan pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Chinese five spice powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 1 lb tilapia fillet (4-6)
- 2 tablespoons minced scallions
- 1/3 cup hot ginger, sauce
- 1PREPARE HOT ORANGE-GINGER SAUCE:.
- 2Whisk marmalade, orange juice, vinegar, gingerroot, and pepper flakes together in small bowl.
- 3Saute garlic in saucepan with oil over med-hi heat for 30 seconds.
- 4Add marmalade mixture and simmer, stirring continuously, until sauce thickens, about 5 minutes.
- 5Season with salt.
- 6PREPARE FIVE-SPICE POWDER:.
- 7Grind all your spices, until it is all blended together.
- 8Makes 1/4 cup of powder - will keep for several months in an airtight container.
- 9PREPARE TILAPIA:.
- 10Mix five-spice powder, salt and cayenne pepper with 2 T oil in small bowl.
- 11Pat fillets dry; brush both sides with spice mixture.
- 12Heat remaining 1 T oil in large nonstick skillet over med-hi het until skillet is lightly smoking.
- 13Add fillets; saute 3 minutes on each side.
- 14Sprinkle with scallions.
- 15Serve with Hot Orange-Ginger Sauce & vegetable fried rice.
Browse Our Top Tilapia Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Tilapia Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pan-Seared 5-Spice Tilapia W/ Hot-Orange-Ginger Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (181 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 322.6
- Calories from Fat 147
- Total Fat 16.3 g
- Saturated Fat 2.6 g
- Cholesterol 56.7 mg
- Sodium 220.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 22.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.4 g
- Sugars 13.7 g
- Protein 24.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
ground star anise
Chinese five spice powder