Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
Spice rubs are the perfect way to jazz up mild-flavored fish and poultry. This rub - a blend of spices, herbs, salt, sugar and oil - transforms into a falvorful crust when cooked. Here we brushed the tilapia with a combination of Chinese Five-Spice Powder, salt, cayenne pepper, and oil. A purchased blend of Chinese Five-Spice Powder or one you have made is great - either one will work. CuisineAtHome.com: Issue 73 February 2009 edition. With the sauce - vary the amount of red pepper flakes to adjust the heat of the sauce to your liking.
- 2 tablespoons ground star anise
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground fennel
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground szechwan pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Chinese five spice powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 1 lb tilapia fillet (4-6)
- 2 tablespoons minced scallions
- 1⁄3 cup hot ginger, sauce
- 1⁄4 cup orange marmalade
- 1⁄4 cup fresh orange juice
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- PREPARE HOT ORANGE-GINGER SAUCE:.
- Whisk marmalade, orange juice, vinegar, gingerroot, and pepper flakes together in small bowl.
- Saute garlic in saucepan with oil over med-hi heat for 30 seconds.
- Add marmalade mixture and simmer, stirring continuously, until sauce thickens, about 5 minutes.
- Season with salt.
- PREPARE FIVE-SPICE POWDER:.
- Grind all your spices, until it is all blended together.
- Makes 1/4 cup of powder - will keep for several months in an airtight container.
- PREPARE TILAPIA:.
- Mix five-spice powder, salt and cayenne pepper with 2 T oil in small bowl.
- Pat fillets dry; brush both sides with spice mixture.
- Heat remaining 1 T oil in large nonstick skillet over med-hi het until skillet is lightly smoking.
- Add fillets; saute 3 minutes on each side.
- Sprinkle with scallions.
- Serve with Hot Orange-Ginger Sauce & vegetable fried rice.