Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a very light and tasty soup and very easy to make. Can be served over cooked rice if desired.
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 8 slices fresh gingerroot, 1/8 inch thick
- 1 teaspoon whole black peppercorn
- 6 large green onions, cut to 1 inch lengths
- 1 large sweet red pepper, seeded and sliced
- 1 cup fresh button mushroom, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup bamboo shoot
- 1⁄2 cup rice wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- In a large cooking pot, add chicken broth, sliced ginger root, peppercorns and bring to boil.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer uncovered for 20 minutes.
- Strain broth and discard ginger root and peppercorns.
- Return strained broth to cooking pot.
- Add sliced green onions, sliced red sweet pepper, sliced mushrooms, bamboo shoots, rice wine vinegar, chili powder and sesame oil.
- Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes or until vegetables are just tender crisp.
- Serve in soup bowls.
- If desired, serve this soup over cooked white or brown rice.
Although I saved this recipe quite awhile ago I just got around to trying it. I had soup very much like this in a local restaurant and wantted to make it myself. This soup is really, really delicious, easy to make also. I really love it and would encourage all you out there in Internet land to try this!
This was very easy to make. I used vegetable base instead of chicken, and added cubed tofu to mine. Great when you have a cold.
I'm enjoying a bowl of this soup as I post this review. The soup is really good. The flavor is right on for hot and sour soup. And no msg to give me a headache. I made the soup exactly as written but I added a few fresh shrimp at the end. Good addition! I think the next time I make this soup, and I will be making it again, I will try leaving out the bell pepper since I'm not a big fan. I'm picking out the pieces now and started to leave it out tonight but thought it might add something to the overall flavor of the soup. I think some leftover shredded pork would be good in this soup also.