This yummy side dish is from The Modern Art of Chinese Cooking by Barbara Tropp. It is very simple and will last for several days in the refrigerator. We like to serve this with chicken.
- Cook noodles in boiling water for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Drain immediately in a colander and chill thoroughly under cold running water.
- Shake off excess water, then return the noodles to a clean dry bowl.
- Blend the seasonings in a small bowl.
- Pour the sauce evenly over the noodles, using a handful of noodles to wipe the bowl clean so you don't lose any of the sugar.
- Toss gently with your hands to separate the noodles and distribute the sauce, then add the green onions and toss again to mix.
- Remember that the chili will grow more pronounced within a few hours, so err on the cautious side if you are not eating the noodles immediately.
- For best flavor, cover and put aside for several hours at room temperature or store overnight in the refrigerator.
- Toss before eating to redistribute the seasonings.
- Garnish with green onion slices.
- These last 4 to 5 days, sealed airtight and refrigerated. Flavor peaks in spiciness on the second day.