I was surprised to find that there were no recipes for moo-shu vegetables on this site (at least none you can find on a category search). So easy to make and wonderfully tasty.
- 1 small cabbage, shredded
- 1 carrot, shredded
- 6 scallions, split in half lengthwise and cut into 1-2 inch pieces
- 1 cup white mushroom, sliced (look for small ones)
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil or 1 tablespoon canola oil, divided
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable stock or 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon ginger, minced
- 2 -4 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 1⁄2 cup hoisin sauce
- 12 moo shu pancakes
- Warm pancakes as directed on package.
- Heat wok over high heat until almost smoking. Add 1 teaspoon of oil and stir fry mushroom until softened. Remove mushrooms from wok.
- Add remaining oil to the wok along with the garlic and ginger. Stir-fry spices 30 seconds, add cabbage and carrots. Continue cooking 2 minutes add 2 tablespoons of soy sauce and taste. Add additional soy sauce if desired.
- When cabbage is close to crisp-tender, return mushrooms to the wok and add scallions. If the vegetables begin to stick, drizzle sparingly a little water or vegetable broth.
- To serve, let each diner spoon a bit of Hoisin sauce onto a warmed pancake. Top with several tablespoons of the vegetables on top. Roll pancake as you would a burrito or crepe. Put lots of napkins on the table. Enjoy!
This was an absolutely fabulous recipe--a great way to use the wealth of carrots I had on hand. I love moo shu anything, but never knew it could be so healthy! I did add in some bean sprouts I had on hand. I just ate the filling and skipped the pancakes. Toni, this is a real winner for anyone trying to eat healthy--thanks a million!
Moo-shu good this is, TRUE! SO healthy, easy to do! Shredded cabbage through food processor as was alot easier for me, Came out like shredded carrot, same consistency! No need to use any stock or water too, But think this is because there was some liquid in shredding it like carrot too! Easy way to increase veggie intake, SO good for you and your family sake! As am unable to have the pancakes, used wholewheat tortilla, works for me! Helpful hint? Zap in microwave for 20 seconds to soften before rolling...makes it EASY! Hoisin sauce, Moo-Shu....Never made before, but would have if I knew! Will definately make this again, Used 1/2 cabbage, Made ALOT, Will be adding chilli as I like it HOT! THANKS!
I doubled this recipe and served it at a vegan potluck. It was easy and a huge hit!