1/4 Photos of Mongolian Hotpot With Chicken and Shrimp
I've served this before & it's a great way to have an easy, relaxed dinner with friends. Found this recipe on About.com. Use whatever combination of meats and/or vegies that appeal to you. Feel free to finish up the meal by poaching eggs or boiling vermicelli noodles in the hot broth. (You may need to cook extra broth).
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 5 -6 ounces chicken breasts
- 1 lb red snapper fillet
- 1/2 lb large raw shrimp
- 1/2 lb napa cabbage
- 1 bunch spinach
- 1/4 lb bean thread noodles (dried vermicelli)
- 4 cups chicken stock or 4 cups vegetable stock
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon chinese rice wine or 1 tablespoon dry sherry
- 2 slices ginger
- 1 green onion
- 1Cut the chicken and red snapper filets into thin slices. Rinse the shrimp under warm running water and cut in half lengthwise.
- 2Wash and shred the Napa cabbage and spinach. Soak the bean thread noodles in hot water until softened.
- 3Place the sliced chicken, shrimp, red snapper and the shredded vegetables on separate platters on the table. Place the dipping sauces on the table in small individual bowls. Make sure each guest has a complete place setting, including a dipping fork (color-coded if possible) and a small bowl for placing the cooked food.
- 4On the stove, bring the broth and water with the rice wine to a boil, and add the ginger and green onion. Transfer enough broth to the fondue pot or hot pot so that the pot is approximately 2/3 - 3/4 full. (How much broth you need will depend on the size of the pot). Place the pot on the burner, and keep it simmering throughout the meal. Keep the remaining broth warming on the stovetop.
- 5To serve, invite guests to spear the food with a dipping fork and cook briefly in the broth until cooked, then dip the cooked food in the sauces as desired.
- 6Use a dipping basket to cook the vegetables in batches in the hot broth and ladle out into the soup bowls.
- 7Serve with hot steamed rice.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mongolian Hotpot With Chicken and Shrimp
Serving Size: 1 (494 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 486.7
- Calories from Fat 86
- Total Fat 9.5 g
- Saturated Fat 2.4 g
- Cholesterol 169.3 mg
- Sodium 592.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 38.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.7 g
- Sugars 5.0 g
- Protein 58.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: