This is the version I served in the restaurant and that I've been teaching for 25 years.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 lb flank steak, slice thinly against the grain,slices should be about 1 1/2 inch long
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1 pinch white pepper
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 8 scallions, cut in 2 inch pieces
- 1/2 cup sliced bamboo shoot (*sliced carrot or celery can be substituted)
- 2 tablespoons dark soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon hoisin sauce
- 3 tablespoons chicken stock or 3 tablespoons water
- 3 tablespoons dry sherry
- 1Marinade 20- 30 minutes.
- 2Use highest heat for all steps.
- 3Heat a wok to the smoking point.
- 4Pour in the oil.
- 5When very hot stir fry the beef until just cooked.
- 6Remove to drain off oil.
- 7Clean the wok if necessary.
- 8Reheat with a little more oil.
- 9Stir fry the seasoning ingredients for a few seconds until you get a strong aroma.
- 10Stir in the vegetables; keep stirring until heated through, about two minutes.
- 11Pour in the sauce and stir until it starts to bubble.
- 12Return the meat and stir to blend well.
- 13Thicken a little with the cornstarch mixture.
- 14Stir in a few drops of sesame oil.
- 15Serve at once.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mongolian Beef
Serving Size: 1 (349 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 699.4
- Calories from Fat 428
- Total Fat 47.5 g
- Saturated Fat 9.4 g
- Cholesterol 171.1 mg
- Sodium 1281.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 17.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.9 g
- Sugars 6.4 g
- Protein 32.3 g