My sister introduced me to homemade egg rolls with this recipe. It's more time consuming than other recipes I make, but worth it. If you've got "helpers" to help roll them, that saves a lot of time. Usually after we've stir-fried all the ingredients, we put the bowl in the middle of the table, give everybody a spoon, and let everyone roll their own. Kids love it!
- 5 tablespoons oil
- 1 green onion, chopped fine
- 1⁄2 lb pork, minced, mixed with
- 1 teaspoon oil, and
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon cooking sherry
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 head cabbage, shredded
- 1⁄4 cup bamboo shoot, shredded
- 1⁄2 lb bean sprouts
- 20 egg roll wraps
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch, dissolved in 2 tablespoons water
- 4 cups oil, for deep-frying
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in wok or frying pan. Stir-fry green onion 30 seconds or until aroma comes.
- Add pork. Stir-fry 1 minutes until color changes. Add 1 tablespoon soy sauce, 1 teaspoon sugar, and 1 tablespoon cooking sherry. Cook 1 minute. Remove.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in wok or frying pan. Stir-fry cabbage and bamboo shoots 1 minute. Remove.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in work or frying pan. Stir-fry bean sprouts 1 minute. Remove.
- Combine pork and vegetables in wok. Add 1 teaspoon salt and 1 tablespoon soy sauce. Stir-fry until thoroughly heated.
- Remove to colander to drain liquid. Let mixture cool.
- Put 2 heaping tablespoonsful of meat mixture on each wrapper. Roll lengthwise into envelopes about 4 inches long and 1 inch wide. Seal with dissolved cornstarch.
- Heat 4 cups oil. Deep-fry egg rolls 3-4 minutes, until golden brown.
We really enjoyed these egg rolls! I used 1/2 ground turkey and 1/2 ground pork. The veggie/meat ratio is just right, I did add 1 shredded carrot (I am always looking for a delicious way to get more veggies into our diet!) This is an easy to follow recipe big on flavor! Thank you mailbelle! I doubled the recipe and flash frozen 1/2 the eggrolls so I can have them again very soon! Made for Unrated Asain Recipe Tag
These were so GOOD! This was my first time making egg rolls. It was time consuming but well worth it. I prepared everything early in the day, so when it was time to fry it went easy. I served them with Peanut sauce. I will make these again for sure. I am sorry that my photo is blurry, but it was the only good one from 7 photos I took. Thank You for posting the recipe. Made for Asian Forum Unrated Recipe Tag Event.
Delicious pork egg rolls. I followed the recipe with the exception of adding 2 cloves of garlic to the pork mixture. Pork to vegetable ratio was just right and recipe was very easy to make. Thank you for posting this mailbelle. Made for Asian forum unrated Asian Recipe Tag Game.