1/1 Photo of Mel's Salt & Pepper Squid
Mel Zlotkowski's Note:
I introduced my friends and family to salt and pepper squid at our local Chinese restaurant. Now it doesn't matter which Chinese restaurant we go to - this is the only dish that we order 2 serves of. This tasty version I adapted from Neil Perry's recipe (appears on the Australian Lifestyle channel website). I found the tempura batter a great substitute for the rice flour.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 10 -20 small dried red chilies (optional)
- 3 tablespoons sea salt
- 2 tablespoons black peppercorns
- 2 tablespoons szechuan peppercorns
- 500 g rice flour (or tempura flour, I used tempura batter instead)
- 1 kg squid, tubes cut in half so it flat,then into strips. they will curl in the oil
- 500 ml peanut oil
- 2 tablespoons coriander, chopped (I don't add this)
- 2 limes (cut in half for squeezing, I don't add this either, but it would be nice!!!!!)
- 1Dry roast spices (salt, both types of peppercorns and chilli) in a pan over a low heat until salt starts to turn golden and spices fragrant.
- 2Place into a mortar and pestle and cool.
- 3Once cool, grind with the mortar and pestle to a fine consistency.
- 4Mix through the rice flour (tempura batter/ flour).
- 5Heat oil in a wok or saucepan to 180 degrees Celsius (a sugar thermometer is the safest and best way to check your temperature).
- 6Cut squid into thin strips (or score lightly with knife and cut into larger pieces).
- 7Dust lightly in the flour mix and cook a small batch at a time to retain the heat in the wok to give your squid crunch.
- 8Drain on absorbent paper and place onto your plate.
- 9To Serve Sprinkle some chopped coriander over the top, a bit more salt if you wish and add some lime wedges.
- 10Great with an Asian beer!
- 11I hope that you give it a try'cause it's not stringy and not too fishy- it ends up really tender.
Browse Our Top Squid Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Squid Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mel's Salt & Pepper Squid
Serving Size: 1 (424 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 3304.7
- Calories from Fat 2039
- Total Fat 226.5 g
- Saturated Fat 39.2 g
- Cholesterol 1165.0 mg
- Sodium 10686.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 222.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.9 g
- Sugars 1.4 g
- Protein 93.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: