1/30 Photos of Mean Guy's General Tso's Chicken
Kirstin in the Couv's Note:
This is an adoptee. I have made it many many times and want to be able to help people out when they make it! One of the best I've ever had. Takes some time, but oh so worth it. Good eats ;-)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In a large bowl, thoroughly blend the 1/2 cup of cornstarch and the eggs; add the chicken and toss to coat.
- 2If the mixture is too thick, add some vegetable oil to separate the pieces.
- 3In a small bowl, prepare the sauce mixture by combining the 2 tsp cornstarch with the wine, vinegar, sugar and soy sauce.
- 4First-Stage Frying: Heat 1-2 inches of peanut oil in a wok to medium-high heat (350-400).
- 5Fry the chicken in small batches, just long enough to cook the chicken through.
- 6Remove the chicken to absorbent paper and allow to stand (this step can be performed well in advance, along with the sauce mixture, with both refrigerated).
- 7Second-Stage Frying: Leave a tablespoon or two of the oil in the wok.
- 8Add the pepper pods to the oil and stir-fry briefly, awakening the aroma but not burning them.
- 9Return the chicken to the wok and stir-fry until the pieces are crispy brown.
- 10The General's Favorite Sauce: Add the sauce-mixture to the wok, tossing over the heat until the sauce caramelizes into a glaze (1-2 minutes).
- 11Serve immediately.
- 12Serves 4, along with steamed broccoli and rice.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mean Guy's General Tso's Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (201 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 414.0
- Calories from Fat 188
- Total Fat 20.9 g
- Saturated Fat 6.0 g
- Cholesterol 235.0 mg
- Sodium 895.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 26.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.2 g
- Sugars 9.8 g
- Protein 25.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
dried chili pods