1/1 Photo of Martin Yan's Lettuce Cups
Literary Mom's Note:
I had always wanted to duplicate this refreshing and savory dish sometimes found in Chinese restaurants. Martin Yan (of Yan Can Cook) didn't let me down! It also happens to be low-carb. I skipped all the veggies except the carrots and was more generous with the sesame oil, sherry and ginger than the amounts listed, so adjust to your taste.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 lb ground turkey (or minced chicken)
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon dry sherry or 1 tablespoon rice wine
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger
- 6 dried black mushrooms
- 1 small carrot, cut into l/ 4-inch cubes
- 1 small zucchini, cut into l/ 4-inch cubes
- 1 cup diced water chestnut
- 12 leaves small iceberg lettuce, cups
- hoisin sauce
- 3/4 cup coarsely chopped toasted walnuts (optional)
- Asian chili sauce (optional)
- 1Place meat in a bowl with oyster sauce; stir to coat.
- 2let stand for 10 minutes.
- 3Soak mushrooms in warm water to cover until softened, about 15 minutes; drain, reserving 1/4 cup of the soaking liquid.
- 4Trim and discard stems.
- 5Chop caps.
- 6Place a wok over high heat until hot.
- 7Add cooking oil, swirling to coat sides.
- 8Add ginger and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 10 seconds.
- 9Add meat, stir-fry until meat crumbled and no longer pink (1-3 minutes).
- 10Add carrot, zucchini, and water chestnuts; stir-fry for 30 seconds.
- 11Add mushrooms and reserved mushroom soaking liquid.
- 12Cook until vegetables are crisp-tender, about 2 minutes.
- 13Add sherry/wine and sesame oil; cook until heated through.
- 14If using, add walnuts and toss to coat.
- 15To eat, spread hoisin sauce on a lettuce cup, spoon in meat filling, wrap in lettuce cup, and eat out of hand.
- 16For spicier palates, top with Asian chili sauce.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Martin Yan's Lettuce Cups
Serving Size: 1 (197 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 466.5
- Calories from Fat 231
- Total Fat 25.7 g
- Saturated Fat 4.7 g
- Cholesterol 89.6 mg
- Sodium 392.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 31.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.1 g
- Sugars 8.7 g
- Protein 23.3 g