1/3 Photos of Ma Po Tofu (Braised Spicy Pork With Tofu)
This spicy, ground pork and tofu recipe served over white rice really hits the spot for me after a long day. With just a few ingredients, and some quick prep you can have dinner on the table in about a half hour. This is cheaper and more satisfying than any takeout I've ordered the last 10 years. Unlike some recipes for ma-po tofu, I eliminate the need to marinate the pork, just braise it in the sauce mixture for 10 minutes and all the flavors permeate the tofu. You can also adjust the heat by reducing the amount of chili paste so that the kids will enjoy it too - and who doesn't want their kids to develop a love for something as healthy as tofu? I also slice the ginger into larger pieces so I can remove it later (I love the taste of ginger but not biting into it)Enjoy!!
My Private Note
cup ser ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb ground pork
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 ounce gingerroot, sliced into 1/4 inch pieces
- 1 -2 garlic clove, minced
- 4 -6 green onions, green and white part, sliced into 1-inch pieces
- 14 ounces firm tofu, drained and cut into large1-inch cubes
- 1 cup chicken broth, seperated
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch, more if desired
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3 tablespoons shao xing cooking wine
- 3 tablespoons chinese rice wine
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon dark soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons garlic and red chile paste (to taste)
- 1In a wok, heat vegetable oil on medium high heat for 2 minutes. Have all your ingredients ready next to your cooking area as you will need them close at hand as cooking progresses.
- 2Add garlic and ginger to the wok and stir-fry for about 1 minute, be careful not to burn the garlic.
- 3Add the ground pork to the wok and break up into large chunks. Let the pork sear and gently combine the garlic and ginger as you continue to break up the meat, abour 3-4 minutes. If desired, you may season the pork at this stage with salt and black pepper, but this is not necessary.
- 4For the sauce, combine the sugar, cooking wine, rice wine, sesame oil, soy sauce and chili paste. Add the sauce mixture to the wok. Gently combine and bring the wok to a simmer.
- 5Add green onions, tofu and 1/2 cup of chicken stock. Gently fold ingredients together, be careful not to break up the tofu (you want it to retain their cubed-shape).
- 6Cover wok with a lid and lower heat to low and braise pork and tofu for 10 minutes.
- 7Remove lid and raise heat to medium. Stir cornstarch into remaining 1/2 cup of chicken stock to make a slurry. Add the slurry to the wok and gently stir to thicken sauce, about 2 minutes. Remove the ginger now, if desired.
- 8Serve over white rice and enjoy!
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Ma Po Tofu (Braised Spicy Pork With Tofu)
Serving Size: 1 (222 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 514.2
- Calories from Fat 294
- Total Fat 32.6 g
- Saturated Fat 10.3 g
- Cholesterol 106.6 mg
- Sodium 541.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 10.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.5 g
- Sugars 4.5 g
- Protein 39.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
garlic and red chile paste