1/1 Photo of Ma La Chicken
Sue Lau's Note:
I used to enjoy having this by a local Malaysian chef who also doubled as a chef for a Japanese steakhouse. This is not quite like his, but close. He will not give up the recipe (no surprise there!) so I have had to work it out on my own.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 lbs boneless chicken thighs
- 1/2 cup cornstarch (as needed)
- oil (as needed)
- 6 dried hot Thai red chili peppers (6 to 8)
- 12 ounces white mushrooms, quartered
- 1 onion, chopped (or several scallions)
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons szechuan hot bean sauce
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground szechuan peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1Cut chicken into small dice and dredge in cornstarch, shaking off.
- 3Heat enough oil in a wok or deep skillet to fry chicken until it is.
- 4cooked through, and drain.
- 5Heat 1-2 tbs oil in wok and add chiles, cooking just for a moment,.
- 6then add mushrooms and onions, cooking until onions are softened.
- 7Add cooked chicken back to pan.
- 8Mix the chicken broth with soy sauce, hot bean paste, cayenne pepper,.
- 9white pepper and schezuan peppercorns powder along with 1 tablespoons.
- 10cornstarch and add to wok, stir-frying briefly until sauce thickens.
- 11If sauce thickens too much, just add a little water but the sauce.
- 12should be fairly dry.
- 13Serve with steamed rice if desired.
- 14Note: if you grind your own peppercorns, make sure you pass it through.
- 15a sieve or it might be gritty.
- 16You can also stir-fry the chicken instead of frying it, but the result.
- 17will not be quite the same, although lower in fat. It is however,.
Browse Our Top Chicken Thigh & Leg Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Thigh & Leg Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Ma La Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (268 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 486.2
- Calories from Fat 241
- Total Fat 26.7 g
- Saturated Fat 7.3 g
- Cholesterol 143.0 mg
- Sodium 486.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 26.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.6 g
- Sugars 6.5 g
- Protein 34.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
szechuan hot bean sauce
ground szechuan peppercorns