I received an email from Best of Spark People and this was the featured recipe. "A low fat and reduced sodium Chinese feast!" Go to www.sparkrecipes.com website and check out all the yummy sounding healthy recipes!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups instant brown rice, whole-grain
- 1/4 cup seasoned rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons apricot preserves
- 1 lb chicken breast, cut in bite-size pieces
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 teaspoons gingerroot, minced
- 1 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 1 cup carrot, sliced
- 1 cup red pepper, chunked
- 1 cup green pepper, chunked
- 1 cup snow peas
- 1 (5 ounce) can sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 1Prepare rice according to package's instructions.
- 2Whisk vinegar, soy sauce, cornstarch and apricot preserves in a small bowl. Set aside.
- 3Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook, undisturbed, for 2 minutes. Continue cooking, stirring occasionally until no longer pink on the outside and just starting to brown in spots, about 2 minutes more. Transfer to a plate.
- 4Add remaining oil, garlic, and ginger to pan and cook, stirring, until fragrant, 20-30 seconds. Add broth and bring to boil, stirring constantly. Add vegetables, reduce heat to a simmer, cover and cook until the vegetables are tender-crisp, 4-6 minutes. Stir in water chestnuts and the chicken.
- 5Whisk the reserved sauce and add to the pan. Simmer, stirring constantly, until the sauce is thickened and the chicken is heated through, about 1 minute.
- 6Serve with the rice.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Low Fat Sweet and Sour Chicken With Brown Rice
Serving Size: 1 (454 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 560.3
- Calories from Fat 169
- Total Fat 18.7 g
- Saturated Fat 3.7 g
- Cholesterol 72.6 mg
- Sodium 635.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 65.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.7 g
- Sugars 9.5 g
- Protein 32.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
seasoned rice vinegar