Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
I received an email from Best of Spark People and this was the featured recipe. "A low fat and reduced sodium Chinese feast!" Go to www.sparkrecipes.com website and check out all the yummy sounding healthy recipes!
- 2 cups instant brown rice, whole-grain
- 1⁄4 cup seasoned rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons apricot preserves
- 1 lb chicken breast, cut in bite-size pieces
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 teaspoons gingerroot, minced
- 1 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 1 cup carrot, sliced
- 1 cup red pepper, chunked
- 1 cup green pepper, chunked
- 1 cup snow peas
- 1 (5 ounce) can sliced water chestnuts, drained
- Prepare rice according to package's instructions.
- Whisk vinegar, soy sauce, cornstarch and apricot preserves in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook, undisturbed, for 2 minutes. Continue cooking, stirring occasionally until no longer pink on the outside and just starting to brown in spots, about 2 minutes more. Transfer to a plate.
- Add remaining oil, garlic, and ginger to pan and cook, stirring, until fragrant, 20-30 seconds. Add broth and bring to boil, stirring constantly. Add vegetables, reduce heat to a simmer, cover and cook until the vegetables are tender-crisp, 4-6 minutes. Stir in water chestnuts and the chicken.
- Whisk the reserved sauce and add to the pan. Simmer, stirring constantly, until the sauce is thickened and the chicken is heated through, about 1 minute.
- Serve with the rice.