Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 32 mins
Cook 32 mins
Entered for safe-keeping for healthier appetizers. From Evelyn Tribole's "More Healthy Homestyle Cooking". The (vegan) plum sauce has been published on Zaar on its own as Lighter Plum Sauce #347267. Vegetarians can consider substituting TVP crumbles for the ground turkey breast.
- 6 ounces plum baby food, preferably strained plums with apples (1 jar)
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar, packed or 1 1⁄2 tablespoons Splenda brown sugar blend
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 inch fresh gingerroot, peeled
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons reduced sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup cabbage, finely shredded
- 1 small carrot, shredded (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 celery rib, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 lb ground turkey breast
- 8 sheets phyllo dough
- PREPARE PLUM SAUCE:.
- In a small saucepan, combine the plums, brown sugar, vinegar, ginger, and garlic.
- Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring constantly.
- Remove from the heat and set aside to cool.
- When cool, remove and discard the ginger.
- PREPARE SPRING ROLLS:.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Lightly coat 2 baking sheets with nonstick spray. Coat a nonstick skillet with nonstick spray.
- In a small bowl, stir together the soy sauce and sugar until smooth. Set aside until step 13.
- Set the skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the cabbage, carrots, celery and garlic and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes, or until crisp tender.
- Remove the vegetables from the skillet and set aside until step 14.
- In the same skillet, cook the ground turkey, stirring, for 5 minutes, or until no longer pink.
- Add the soy sauce mixture to the skillet and stir well.
- Add the cooked vegetables and remove from the heat.
- Arrange the sheets of phyllo dough in one stack. Cut crosswise into 3 strips. Transfer 2 stacks of the strips to waxed paper and cover with plastic wrap to prevent drying out as you work.
- Place 1 strip of phyllo on a work surface and lightly coat with nonstick spray.
- Place 1 tablespoon of filling at the short end of the strip, centering it between the edges.
- Roll up the strip and filling one-third of the way. Fold the right and left sides of the phyllo over the filling and continue rolling to the end.
- Place the roll, seam side down, on a prepared baking sheet.
- Repeat with the remaining phyllo sheets and filling.
- Bake for 15 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Serve hot with the plum sauce.