1/3 Photos of Lighter General Tso's Chicken
I'm not a big fan of Chinese food, but I will eat this popular dish when I'm with others who want to eat at a Chinese restaurant. I found this recipe in Martha Stewart's Food Everyday and it tastes really good! This is one of my husband's favorite dish so he was thrilled when I made it at home. This lighter version uses skinless chicken breasts, a light batter, and just a bit of oil for pan-frying to get the right texture with less fat.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/4 cups long grain brown rice
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 lb snow peas or 1 lb sugar snap pea, trimmed and halved crosswise
- 4 garlic cloves, sliced
- 2 teaspoons grated peeled fresh ginger
- 3 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 large egg whites
- coarse salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, such as safflower (you might need a little more)
- 1Cook rice according to package instructions.
- 2Meanwhile, in large bowl, stir together 1 T cornstarch and 1/2 cup cold water until smooth.
- 3Add snow peas or sugar snap peas, garlic, ginger, sugar, soy sauce and red pepper flakes; toss to combine and set aside.
- 4In another bowl, whisk together egg whites, remaining 3 T cornstarch, 1/2 t salt and 1/4 t pepper.
- 5Add chicken and toss to coat.
- 6In large nonstick skillet, heat 1 T oil over medium-high heat.
- 7Lift half the chicken from egg-white mixture (shaking off excess) and add to skillet.
- 8Cook, turning occasionally, until golden, 6-8 minutes.
- 9Transfer to a plate, repeat with remaining oil and chicken, and set aside (reserve skillet).
- 10Add snow pea mixture to skillet.
- 11Cover and cook until snow peas are tender and sauce has thickened, about 5 minutes.
- 12Return chicken to skillet (with any juices); toss to coat.
- 13Serve with the rice.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lighter General Tso's Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (344 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 540.8
- Calories from Fat 105
- Total Fat 11.7 g
- Saturated Fat 1.9 g
- Cholesterol 72.6 mg
- Sodium 674.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 72.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.2 g
- Sugars 15.4 g
- Protein 34.8 g