This is like the lemon chicken you get from your Chinese take-out place. The egg, cornstarch, and baking powder coating is extra light and crispy. No msg or flour involved! And remember, Zaar calculates fat and calories from the ingredient list...you won't consume all the oil listed in the recipe! Note: Marinating time is included in prep time.
- 1 tablespoon dry sherry
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 lbs boneless chicken breast halves
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 cups vegetable oil
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 lemon, sliced
- Combine first 3 ingredients in a large zip-lock bag. Add chicken, and seal bag. Marinate for 15 minutes in the refrigerator.
- Combine eggs, 1/4 cup cornstarch, and baking powder in a large bowl; stir well. Dip chicken into batter, coating well.
- Pour 2 cups oil into a large heavy skillet. Fry chicken in hot oil over medium-high heat until golden, turning occasionally. Drain on paper towels. Cut chicken into 1 1/2 inch X 1 inch pieces. Arrange on a serving platter.
- Combine chicken broth and next 4 ingredients; set aside. Place 2 tbsp oil in a large non-stick skillet; place over medium-high heat until hot. Add lemon slices, and stir fry 30 seconds. Add broth mixture, and stir fry 3 additional minutes or until sauce is thickened and clear. Pour over chicken. Serve immediately.
Very good - followed the recipe exactly. In spite of looking a little complicated, it went together fast and was quite easy. Family all loved it, hubby licked his plate. Will keep this as a stand-by. thank you!
This is some delicious chicken! The chicken breasts that I used were quite thick so the outside of them browned too much by the time it was cooked through. I think that I might precut the chicken before cooking it next time. Also, the sauce is amazing and doesn't taste overly lemony. So easy and so quick to do with delicious results! Made for Went To The Market tag game. Thanks breezermom! :)
I announced to Pepper, my cockatiel, that the way things were shaping up around my kitchen, today we will be eating poultry. His look of worry was touching. I threw some birdseed at him. Delicious. Made for Everyday Is A Holiday.