1/2 Photos of Kung Pao Chicken, Shrimp or Beef (Panda Express - Style)
Sharon Anne's Note:
After searching for Kung Pao Chicken recipes and making some modifications, we LOVE this version of this wonderful meal, served with a side of freshly steamed green beans and seasonal fresh fruit. Inspired by several recipes, but mostly by an article www.culinary.net
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb chicken breast, 1/2-inch cubes (substitute shrimp or beef, thinly sliced)
- 1 small egg, beaten
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 green onions (white part sliced and greens cut into 1/2-inch pieces)
- 1 red pepper, chunked
- 1 green pepper, chunked
- 1 small zucchini, chunked
- 1/3 cup water
- 2 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch (dissolved in 1 Tbsp cold water)
- 1 teaspoon rice wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- granulated sugar, sprinkled in (to your taste)
- 1/3 cup peanuts, dry-roasted
- 4 cups cooked white rice (Botan, sticky rice)
- 1Combine meat in a zip-type bag with egg, water, cornstarch and salt; marinate chilled, for at least 30 minutes.
- 2Prep and chill veggies.
- 3Combine water and soy sauce, stir in dissolved cornstarch and rice wine, chill to reserve.
- 4About 20 minutes before serving time (be sure to get rice started) heat about 1-Tbsp of oil in hot wok. Stir meat, drain and discard marinade. Quickly stir-fry the meat in oil, for 60-90 seconds. Transfer to a large container. Stir meat, drain and discard marinade.
- 5Stir-fry the red and yellow peppers until almost tender; add green onions and zucchini, reserve with meat.
- 6Heat the remaining oil and stir-fry garlic, season with pepper flakes and ginger.
- 7Stir the reserved sauce mixture before pouring into seasoned garlic. Heat through to thicken. Sweeten to taste with sugar, adding a bit more ginger and/or red pepper flakes, as needed.
- 8Add cooked food to sauce and stir in peanuts.
- 9Serve over hot rice.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Kung Pao Chicken, Shrimp or Beef (Panda Express - Style)
Serving Size: 1 (481 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 647.0
- Calories from Fat 223
- Total Fat 24.8 g
- Saturated Fat 5.1 g
- Cholesterol 111.7 mg
- Sodium 1013.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 70.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.4 g
- Sugars 3.4 g
- Protein 34.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
rice wine vinegar