1/1 Photo of Kung Pao Chicken
Not for the timid! No wimpy veggies in here, just hot chicken. You decide how hot. If you know you can't handle 8 cloves of garlic and 16 hot red peppers then please, adjust to your taste. And don't drink and cook, there's enough hot oil here, as my dad would have said, to burn your gizzard. This recipe is easily doubled to serve 16-32 at a buffet. If you decide to double, don't increase the oil. It's not needed.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 large whole boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 1 egg white
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/4 cup black bean sauce
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 2 tablespoons chili paste with garlic
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry or 2 tablespoons shao-hsing wine
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 8 cloves garlic, peeled and flattened but not chopped
- 2 cups peanut oil or 2 cups vegetable oil or 2 cups corn oil
- 3/4 cup raw shelled and hulled fresh unsalted peanuts
- 16 -21 dried hot red chili peppers, cut in half
- 1Dice chicken into 3/4" cubes and combine with egg white, cornstarch and salt.
- 2Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- 3Combine next ingredients through garlic and set aside.
- 4Heat oil in wok and when it is almost boiling hot but not smoking, turn heat off and add peanuts in a wire sieve so that it and the peanuts inside can be easily removed.
- 5When peanuts turn golden remove from oil.
- 6They will continue to cook from retained heat after being removed.
- 7Don't burn them, they cook very quickly.
- 8Turn heat back on and when oil is hot add chicken mixture.
- 9Cook about 45 seconds until chicken is opaque but not browned.
- 10Remove and drain the chicken on paper toweling.
- 11Pour off all but 2 T of the oil from the wok.
- 12Add peppers and cook about 15 seconds, they should be dark.
- 13Add sauce and chicken and cook about 1 minute more.
- 14Serve garnished with the peanuts.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Kung Pao Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (119 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 835.1
- Calories from Fat 750
- Total Fat 83.4 g
- Saturated Fat 14.0 g
- Cholesterol 25.3 mg
- Sodium 145.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 12.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.6 g
- Sugars 4.2 g
- Protein 12.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
black bean sauce
chili paste with garlic