Sue Lau's Note:
Spicy Chinese beef with the crunch of peanuts. Serve with rice. Sometimes I like to make this with part beef, part chicken and part shrimp. Put the shrimp in near the end as they don't take long to cook if you'd like to try this.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 lbs flank steaks, partially frozen
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg white
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 4 tablespoons peanut oil, divided
- 1/2 cup dry roasted peanuts
- 10 whole dried red chili peppers
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into pieces
- 2 green onions, cut in 1/2 inch pieces
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tablespoon grated ginger
- 1/2 cup water chestnut, diced (may use jicama)
- steamed rice
For the Sauce
- 1Slice beef diagonally, across the grain, into thin slices.
- 2Combine beef, salt, egg white, and cornstarch.
- 3Toss together until well mixed and set aside.
- 4Stir together all ingredients for the sauce in a small bowl and set aside.
- 5Add two tbsp oil to the wok and stir-fry beef until just browned.
- 6Remove from wok.
- 7Add 2 more tbsp oil to wok and add peanuts and the hot peppers to the wok and cook until the peppers turn dark.
- 8Remove all from wok and place with the beef.
- 9Add more oil to wok if needed- and add bell peppers to wok and cook for one minute, then reduce heat on wok.
- 10Add green onions, ginger and garlic to bell peppers and cook for a few moments but do not let garlic burn.
- 11Add beef and peanut/pepper mixture back into wok and stir to blend.
- 12Add chopped water chestnuts (chopped jicama if you prefer) and sauce mixture and cook until heated through.
- 13Serve with steamed rice.
Browse Our Top Steak Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Steak Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Kung Pao Beef
Serving Size: 1 (312 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 652.9
- Calories from Fat 398
- Total Fat 44.2 g
- Saturated Fat 10.4 g
- Cholesterol 69.7 mg
- Sodium 1183.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 18.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.1 g
- Sugars 5.2 g
- Protein 46.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
chili paste with garlic