Insipid eggplant dishes are now a thing of the past! It doesn't look very pretty but the taste more than makes up for it. The most important flavoring ingredient is the chili bean paste so choose a good one that is made with fermented fava beans or a combination with fermented soy beans. The dried shrimp add a lot of flavor but feel free to omit it for a vegetarian version. We made so much that my timing is a guesstimate, please be kind with me!! :)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 ounces zha cai, minced, drained well to get rid of excess fermenting liquid (pickled mustard tubers)
- 2 tablespoons dried shrimp, minced
- 1/4 cup chili bean sauce
- 3 green onions, white parts only, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger or 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- 4 garlic cloves, minced or 4 garlic cloves, pressed
- 4 Japanese eggplants or 4 Chinese eggplants
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce (more to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- white pepper
- green onion, green part, thinly sliced, garnish (optional)
- 1Soak the dried shrimp in a few tablespoons of hot water for about 5 minutes; drain, rinse, then mince the shrimp.
- 2Cut the eggplant into chunks on the bias.
- 3Cut at an angle, then rotate the eggplant a half turn, then cut on the bias again, repeat.
- 4Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a wok or large skillet over medium high heat.
- 5Add the chopped zha cai and minced dried shrimp, cook for a minute or two in the hot oil.
- 6Add the chili paste, green onions, minced ginger, and minced garlic and cook until the mixture is fragrant, about 1 minute.
- 7Add the eggplant and stir to coat the pieces in the chili mixture, cook for a minute.
- 8Add the soy sauce, sugar, white pepper, and about a 1/4 cup of water.
- 9Cover and steam until eggplant are tender but not mushy.
- 10Stir occasionally, don't be too rough or you'll smash the eggplant.
- 11Season to taste with more soy sauce or salt.
- 12Garnish with sliced green onions (green part only; serve with brown or white rice.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Hunan Eggplant
Serving Size: 1 (386 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 207.5
- Calories from Fat 71
- Total Fat 7.8 g
- Saturated Fat 1.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 516.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 34.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 19.0 g
- Sugars 13.8 g
- Protein 6.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
chili bean sauce