1/3 Photos of Hot and Spicy Szechuan Noodles (Dan Dan Mian)
This recipe, from "Authentic Recipes from China", is just sensational! While I wouldn't classify it as hot, just gently warm, we didn't add any extra chili oil just because the flavours as written were so perfect. You know you're onto a winner when DH eats a portion for 3 people!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 tablespoon szechuan peppercorns
- 1 1/2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1 teaspoon peanut oil, extra
- 8 ounces ground pork (250gm)
- 2 cups chicken stock (500ml)
- 1/2 cup japanese pickled radishes, diced
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoons black vinegar
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon chili oil
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 lb udon noodles (500gm) or 1 lb fresh wheat noodles (500gm)
- 4 spring onions, finely sliced, for garnish
- 1Heat a wok over low heat and dry-fry the Szechuan peppercorns for 2-3 minutes until fragrant.
- 2Add the peanut oil and cook over low heat for 10 minutes to infuse it with the flavour of the peppercorns.
- 3Cool, then strain the oil into a saucepan, discarding the peppercorns.
- 4Add the chicken stock, preserved radish, soy sauce, black vinegar, garlic, sesame oil, chili oil and white pepper to the peppercorn oil in the saucepan.
- 5Keep warm over medium heat.
- 6Meanwhile, either soak udon noodles for a few minutes in hot water, drain and add to stock mixture, or cook wheat noodles for 2 minutes in boiling water, drain and add to mixture.
- 7Heat the extra oil in wok over high heat and stir fry the pork til brown and crispy, about 3-5 minutes.
- 8Divide noodle/broth mixture into four soup bowls, top with the pork and garnish with spring onion.
- 9Eat, slurp and make appreciative noises at will!
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Hot and Spicy Szechuan Noodles (Dan Dan Mian)
Serving Size: 1 (334 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 692.1
- Calories from Fat 206
- Total Fat 22.9 g
- Saturated Fat 6.3 g
- Cholesterol 44.5 mg
- Sodium 3309.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 91.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.5 g
- Sugars 2.5 g
- Protein 27.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: